PLAYING RIZZO IN GREASE
This is going to be such an opportunity for growth in my musical theater career for multiple reasons. Rizzo has to:
- be a memorable, hardass-turned-vulnerable character
- belt the brazen “Sandra Dee,” and croon the sultry “Worse Things I Could Do”
- hold herself like she knows she’s sexy
- get in physical altercations with Sandy and Kenickie
- be the polar opposite of Sandy
- dance like she knows how
I’m still stuck in ingenue mode—and classically trained opera-singing mode—so this ballsy, belty high-school-smoker thing is completely out of my comfort zone.
But that’s where all the FUN is!